Rasam is such a good comfort food...I always adore it with rice and papad......This is one of the best recipe which i learnt from my mom the thickness in this rasam is cause of ground tomatoes and this rasam can be done in 10 mins ....and tastes almost the same like temple style Rasam so many have tried and loved it .....here goes the recipe for it......do try this and leave in your feedback :)
3 med sized Tomatoes (chopped)
1 & 1/2 tbsp coconut
1 & 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp pepper
8-10 methi seeds
generous pinch of hing asefoetida
1/4 tsp haldi / turmeric powder
2-3 Red chilli ( I used Kasmiri /Bedagi)
2 tbsp coriander leaves
1 small seed side tamarind
2 tbsp jaggery
1 sprig of curry leaves + 1 sprig for tadka
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp coriander leaves + 1 tbsp for garnishing
2 & 1/2 cups of water
2 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp of tadka
1 red chilli
salt to taste
- Heat oil add coriander seeds, methi, hing, urad dal ,pepper, red chillies, fry well on very low flame till you get nice aroma and red chillies turn crisp. Now add in coconut, haldi, curry leaves and fry for 2 mins then add in 2 chopped tomato and fry well till tomato turns mushy and then add in tamarind and grind to a fine paste .
- Now in a wide pot add in 2 & 1/2 cups of water and put salt and 1 chopped tomato and bring in to a boil . Now add the paste , Jaggary and let it boil well for about 3-4 mins.
- If you feel it's thick you can add more water.
- Now take a tadka pan add oil when hot add mustard seeds, when they start to pop add coriander leaves , 1 broken red chilli , curry leaves and pour on tadka.
- Now add more coriander leaves for garnishing.