This is one the best chole recipe that comes v close to any Dhabha style....simply awesome...when I prepared this for the first time hubby said its so yumm prepare it again next week too ...it's actually is so close gives actual dhabha taste that you will def love it This recipe is based on the recipe Contributed by Jaspreet Nirula but I have done few changes to the recipe as per my family taste and simply loved it :D....Do Prepare it for your family hope they love it as much as we loved it and please don't forget to drop in a feedback !
1 and 1/2 cup of Kabuli chana /chickpeas (soaked overnight)
2 Potato (cut into cubes)
2 med sized onion (finely chopped)
1 tbsp ginger- garlic paste
1/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper powder
2 tsp cornflour
2 Tomato (cubed)
1 tea bag
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin powder
1/2 tsp Amchur powder
2 Green chilli (use as per your spice level)
1' ginger (Cut into Julianne)
2 big piches of Ajwain
generous pinch of hing
2 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
Spice Blend for chole
2 Kashmiri Red chilli
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 green cardamom
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 small piece of cinnamom
1/4 tsp black peppercorn
2 tsp Anardana powder
- Pressure cook chole adding 1 tea bag till cooked and then discard the tea bag and keep aside.
- Cut Potato into cubes and Marinate it with salt and pepper powder and dust with cornflour mix well. Shallow fry them in oil . Drain on a kitchen towel and keep aside.
- In a non stick pan put all the ingredients listed under " Spice Blend for chole" and fry on a low heat and when lovely aroma comes grind this to a fine powder (without adding water).
- In Non stick pan add oil + add ghee as well (adding ghee is opt but I do insist gives a v good flavour) add ajwain, hing fry well then add chopped onion fry well now add ginger garlic paste fry well.
- Now add green chillies. tomato fry well till tomato is mashed properly add the spice blend (ground freshly), red chilli powder, cumin powder, Amchur , salt to taste . Fry till it leaves out oil then add in the boiled chana with water and simmer and cook till 5-7 mins till all the flavours are well infused and your left with semi thick Gravy. Add in the fried potato and give a final mix . cook for a minute.
- Lastly Garnish with chopped coriander leaves . Done !......Serve with Naan or Paratha of your choice...I have served with my style Express Naan ...recipe coming up very soon :)