I have already posted sweet Phenori which is my family fav ....this is a spicy version of it which I learnt from My friend Asha Radhakrishna Shenoy she is lovely friend and she contributes such lovely recipes this is one among them which I had bookmarked ...usually I do phenori using Maida this is got a very healthy touch to it as Here in the recipe Wheat flour is used ...so I was keen in preparing it and it was crispy and perfect and I loved it :)...I have changed the recipe slightly here goes the perfect Recipe for it :)
1 cup Wheat flour
2 tbsp Roasted Rawa (Roast it on med flame and keep aside)
1/2 tsp Black pepper powder ( I used Pepper crusher not the fine powder)
1 large pinch of Ajwain
1/4 tsp Jeera
1 tsp Red chilli powder (use more if you want more spicy )
large 2 pinches of hing powder /Asefoetida
1/2 tbsp hot ghee
1 tbsp oil + more for deep frying
2 tbsp rice flour + extra for dusting
salt to taste
- Mix wheat flour and roasted rawa , salt, ajwain , Jeera, hing , salt mix well and keep aside.
- Heat Ghee till the smoking point when it is sizzling hot pout over the wheat flour you will notice it sizzle when you pour .
- Add water little by little and start kneading to make a smooth dough and keep aside for 15 -20 mins.
- Make a mix of 1 tbsp oil and rice flour to make a thick mix and keep aside.
- keep 1/4 cup Rice flour for dusting .
- Now dust the rolling board with a little Wheat flour and roll into thin rund chapathi
- Roll 5 chapathis and keep aside.
- Take one rolled chapathi and apply the oil mix with the help of fingertip evenly then dust with rice flour evenly again then place another one (refer this post for the step to step process ) and then apply oil paste evenly again repeat with all the 5 and till roll into a tight log and cut into one inch piece.
- Press lightly with palm and roll just twice.
- Don't roll too much putting pressure as the layers will not form perfectly.
- Heat oil pan when it is hot simmer it to a med flame and deep fry in in oil Drop just 2 at a time and fry. Drain in a paper towel and store in a Air tight container .
- It's a lovely tea time snack . Do try this and leave in your feedback !