Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Avial

I absolutely love avial such a yumm, delicious and healthy dish too ..you can add any vegs of your choice here ...whenever I cook this it always brings my childhood memories of my mom cooking it for me and I used to absolutely relish it with simple dal and rice :)




Ingredients

1/2 cup roughly cubed carrot

1/2 cup cubed Yam (suran)

2 potato (cut into small cubes )

10-12 Tender cashews ( I use cause I like a little the crunch)

Large Pinch of haldi

4-5 green chillies

1/2 cup coconut 

3 tbsp well beaten yogurt 

1 tsp Jeera

For Tadka

1/2 tsp mustard seeds

1/4 tsp Jeera

1 sprig of curry leaves 

salt to taste

2 tsp oil 

Method 

  • Place all the vegs and cashews in pan add water and cook till well cooked and keep aside. Keep 1 and 1/2 cup water and discard the rest.
  • In mixer grinder grind green chillies, coconut, 1 tsp Jeera and grind it to a fine paste. 
  • In deep pan add all the vegs and put the paste, Pinch of haldi and 1 and 1/2 cup of boiled veg water and bring to a boil till the gravy cooks and the paste blends well with all the vegs and gravy texture is semi thick . 
  • Add salt to taste . Then switch off the gas and add well beaten yogurt  give a good stir.
  • Now for the tadka ; Heat oil add little mustard seeds, jeera when mustard seeds starts to splutter add in curry leaves and pour over this dish .
  • Serve with Rice and Dal...its heavenly and such a satisfying meal ...YUM !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment