This is my version of South Indian Style Biryani with chana which is my hubby's fav so whenever he yearns for biryani this is def the one I prepare it for him along with Veg kurma (which is his most fav combo ) ....hmmm sounds delicious isn't it try this you you def love it and it will be one of your family favs too :) .... if you did like it don't forget to leave in your feedback would love to hear from you :)
1 cup basmati Rice
Spices for Cooking Rice
1 ' dalchini
1 tbsp mint leaves (finely chopped)
1 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
For other Ingredients
1 tin boiled white Kabuli Chana/ Chickpeas / Garbanzo beans ( Drained ) ( I have used store brought one if not you have Pressure cook 1 cup chana and use it later )
1 tomato (pureed)
Mixed Whole spices (that is ....1 Bay leaf , 2 elaichi, 2 cloves. 1' dalchini)
1/4 tsp saunf
1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
1 Big onion (chopped)
1/2 cup of fried onion ( you can use store brought one or do it by slicing 2 onion and spreading for a while and frying it in hot oil )
2 tbsp finely chopped Mint leaves
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
2 green chilli (sliced)
1 tbsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
1/2 tsp Coriander /Dhania powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp Jeera powder
1 tsp chana masala powder (Badshah brand or you can use any of your choice)
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
- Soak basmathi Rice for 30 mins along with the spices i.t dalchini, cloves, elaichi, mint leaves, coriander leaves and then cook till they are cooked for around 80% and such that when you feel it must be firm but little uncooked . ( Do not discard the spices !). Then spread it on a plate and add in salt and 1 tbsp oil so that the grains do not stick to each other)
- In pan add oil and ghee when it is hot add in bayleaf, dalchini, cloves, elaichi, saunf fry it after a min on two when you get a nice aroma add in 2 sliced green chilli, 1 chopped onion and fry well till it turns brown add in ginger garlic paste and fry well till the it leaves a nice aroma (this will take about 2 mins).
- Now add in haldi, red chilli powder, chana masala, Coriander powder, Jeera powder, garam masala fry well for a min on a low flame then add in tomato puree and fry till it leaves out oil.
- Now add in chopped Coriander leaves, mint leaves, fry well add in the boiled chana and fry till masala gets well coated to the Chickpeas and it leaves out oil add in coconut milk and fry well till it leaves out oil again and it's very thick . Add in salt to taste ( Tastes so good feel like having only this every time I prepare :D)
- Switch off the gas and when the chana gravy cools down then add in the Rice and mix it lightly making sure you don't break the rice grains.
- Serve with Raita or Veg Kurma (post coming soon ). ......Super delicious and Awesome !