This is one of the traditional North canara style of Batata Vada which was shared by my friend Akshatha Prabhu Kamath ..easy and very flavourful recipe . I have altered the recipe slightly though ...here You can pan roast it on tawa or shallow fry in oil .....but tastes awesome ...Do try this you will def love it :)
3-4 Boiled Potato ( Pref boiled and refrigerated for 2-3 hrs) (Mashed well)
1/3 cup coconut
4-5 Kashmiri Red chillies ( Increase or decrease according to your spice level)
1 tbsp coriander seeds
small piece of tamarind
salt to taste
Fine Rawa or semolina for coating
2 tbsp Cornflour
oil for shallow frying + 1 tbsp for frying coriander seeds
- In non stick pan add in little oil fry coriander seeds till nice aroma and grind this along with Red chillies, coconut, tamarind add very little water and grind to a thick paste.
- Add this masala to the boiled and mashed potato . Mix well then add in 1 tbsp Cornflour and mix well . Add in salt to taste.
- Pinch out balls of the batter and shape them into roundels and keep aside.
- Make a thin paste of 1 tbsp cornflour and 4 tbsp water Mix well then dip these roundels in it and then roll in fine semolina and then shallow fry these roundels in oil.
- Serve it with any Dip and enjoy these with Rice and dal ....Simply Fab !