I have learnt this recipe from my mom simply love this thick dosa , v crispy texture from outside and soft inside. You can do it with left over Idli batter I have done with semolina and urad dal ...do try this it's a must try for all dosa lovers . You can serve with any spicy Chutney of your choice or even just with a dollop of butter tastes too good ! Here is the recipe for that :D
3/4 cup Urad dal
1 & 1/4 cup of fine semolina (roasted) /Rawa
salt to taste
For tadka / Tempering
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
curry leaves (finely chopped )
- Soak urad dal for 5-6 hrs then grind this batter to a smooth paste such that it should be silky soft in texture and must look a bit fluffy.
- Add roasted Rawa mix nicely add water to the consistency such that i must resemble that of Idli batter.
- Leave it to ferment overnight. Next morning it would look like a proper fermented batter, Add in salt to taste.
- Now take a small non stick pan add oil drop in just a few mustard seeds when it splutters add 2-3 bits of chopped curry leaves . Then add in one ladle full of the batter (Do Not Spread ) cover and cook on a v low heat then flip you will notice tadka being beautifully stuck to the dosa and it become v crispy and cook on the other side. It is important to cover and cook on low heat to get a very crispy texture here.
- Serve with chutney of your choice or Enjoy with a dollop of butter !