I had seen this on a tv show long back had noted down this recipe and this being speciality of Bangalore I wanted to try this right away as I was very keen to find the taste as well ...very healthy and lovely recipe with all the healthy grains you should surely try this lovely steamed dumplings and dill leaves add such a lovely flavour to this that you will absolutely love it :)
Ingredients (yeilds 10 -12 steamed dumplings )
1/4 cup Toor dal
1/4 cup Chana dal
1/4 cup Moong dal
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 tsp hing
4-5 Green chillies
1 cup Dill leaves/ suva bhaji /Sabsige soppu (chopped)
2 onions (finely chopped)
salt to taste
- Soak all 3 dals in water for 2-3 hrs.
- Then drain it and grind these soaked dals without adding any water.
- Grind coconut, Green chillies , salt , hing to a fine paste. ( must not be watery it should be semi thick).
- Add this to coconut paste to the ground dal mix and to it add salt to taste, onions, dill leaves and mix well.
- Pinch out a small amount of the batter and shape give it an oval shape like the one shown in the picture.
- Heat the steamer then grease an idli mould place these dumplings and steam for about 15 mins till done.
- Serve hot with Chutney of your choice.....it was yumm !