Phanna means tempering /Tadka in konkani it is this special tempering which makes this Dosa so flavourful to give that lovely hype in taste you can make it plain by just skipping the tadka but i do recommend you to try it if are a spice loving person like me :D ....you can serve this with Spicy tomato chutney which for me is my fav combo ...try this you will def love this Dosa and do share in your feedback if you did like it :)
1/2 cup Sona Masuri Rice /Basmathi Rice
1/2 cup Par boiled Rice / Red Rice Matta Rice
1/2 cup coconut
salt to taste
For the tempering/ Tadka
1 tsp ghee /oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
7-8 methi seeds
2 green chilles finely minced
1 sprig of curry leaves
1 tbsp coriander leaves (chopped)
- Soak Sona Masuri rice and Par boiled rice together for about 5-6 hrs .
- Then drain all the water and grind it with coconut to a smooth paste. It should be smooth bit still slightly coarse in texture when u feel it . Add in little water if needed to bring in the consistency which is slightly thicker then the normal dosa batter,
- Add in salt to taste and allow it to ferment overnight.
- Next day prepare the tempering or the tadka . Take a non stick pan add in ghee when hot add mustard seeds, methi when mustard seeds start to crackle add in curry leaves, green chillies and drop in dosa batter.
- Now give it a good mix and keep aside. Add in coriander leaves
- Heat a Dosa pan smear it evenly with oil then take out the dosa and serve with Tomato chutney or any spicy chutney of your choice.