This is one of the traditional konkani breakfast serve it with fried Jackfruit papad (easily available in Mangalore stores) nevertheless becomes one of the most delectable meals for me . Not only filling but the simplicity of the ingredients used here makes it more lovely and authentic , so thought of sharing this simple and lovely breakfast recipe which can be made quickly and doesn't need any accompaniment to be served along with it ...The main key ingredient which hypes the taste of the dish is ginger , so if u love the gingery flavour ...serve this to our loved one's and I am sure they will enjoy this :)
1 cup yellow split Moong dal
3-4 green chillies (slit)
2 tbsp grated gigner
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Jaggery
salt to taste
1/4 tsp haldi
1/4 cup freshly grated coconut
2 tbsp oil + 1/4 tsp ghee
- Wash the Moong dal and keep it aside.
- Take a non stick pan add in oil + ghee mustard seeds, when it starts popping add in slit green chillies, fry for a min add in ginger fry it for a min then add in washed moong dal, haldi and mix well .
- Now add in Jaggery , salt to taste , enough water and cover and cook on a med flame for 10 - 12 mins till the moong dal is cooked and the water soaks up .
- Now add in grated coconut and serve it with any crisps of your choice ...we traditionally serve this with ghare (Jackfruit) papad .
- Note : Add more water and cook if you feel moong dal isn't cooked . You can even pressure cook it if you are in short of time :)