I absolutely love Idli and sambar and it's one of the most popular southern Indian breakfast which I am sure is classic favourite Indian breakfast item in most of our household and there are many versions of idli my mom used to prepare and today I am sharing one of them that is horse gram idli which was my childhood favourite and my mom used to serve this with spicy coconut chutney which I used to relish ..Yum .
It's such a healthy recipe and not to forget all health benefits of horsegram like a good immune booster, perfect for weight loss , good source of Iron and when you mix ground horsegram to idli batter it becomes very soft , so here is one healthy , perfect recipe of Kulitha idli
1/2 cup split white urad dal (black gram dal)
1/4 heaped cup Horse gram /kulithu
1 cup Raw Rice ( Sona Masoori / Basmathi Rice)
salt to taste
- Soak urad dal , horse gram , Rice separately in 3 different vessels for around 7-8 hrs
- Grind Soaked rice to a smooth batter draining all water to a semi thick paste and keep aside.
- Drain all the water from urad dal , transfer this in a mixer grinder and grind to a smooth fluffy paste, remove it in a mixing bowl.
- Now grind the horse gram adding little water to a smooth paste and mix in well along with a urad dal batter, Then add in Rice and salt and mix well to make the consistency of free flowing fully batter.
- Now Allow this to ferment well overnight .
- Next morning prepare the idli steamer ready grease idli mould with little ghee/ coconut oil and steam for about 15 -20 mins until done .Here I have steamed in a round idli tatte / or mould and you can make out from picture how spongy it's turned out to be .
- Serve with chutney pudi / molgapodi or spicy coconut chutney of your choice :)