This recipe was given by my mom ...she is expert in doing nipattu, chakuli I am so blessed to have learnt so many things from her this is one such recipe which i learnt from her and treasure it as it comes out crispy and perfect for me everytime . Here goes the recipe for that
Ingredients (yields around 20 -25 Small nipattus )
1 cup Rice flour (of a very fine quality)
1/4 cup Maida
2 tbsp mix of white and black sesame seeds /til
3 tbsp chana dal (Presoaked in water for 3 hrs and drained of completely)
3 tbsp roasted Peanuts (half it as whole might be difficult to pat)
4 - 5 green chillies (roughly minced ) ( Use can use more if you want but this does work fine for me )
2 sprigs of curry leaves (roughly chopped)
1 tbsp butter (don't use more as it will soak in lot of oil)
1 tbsp dessicated coconut (opt)
water for binding it into a dough
salt to taste
oil to deep fry
- Drain the presoaked chanadal completely .
- In a mixing bowl add maida, rice flour mix well now add curry leaves, minced green chillies, white and black sesame seeds, peanuts, presoaked chana dal, coconut , butter, salt and mix all this well.
- Now add in little by little water to bind it into a thick dough .
- Now take a plastic sheet or you can take any thick plastic bags here just smear the plastic bag which is cut in square shape and properly smear this with oil evenly.
- Now pinch out a small balls of the dough and place this on the plastic sheet and dab it to shape into roundals .
- Now the most important thing here is to heat up the oil in smoking point and simmer it on a med flame then deep fry these in small batches I do 2 at a time as it has to be fried properly in a center too and plus like my nipattu a little white .
- Note : 1. The rice flour i use here is always of a very fine quality. I presoak my chana dal cause I usually see its gives out perfect crunch when fried esle i usually hardens a lot making it difficult to bite into those chanadal bits )...For making a dough pls add water little by little to make it a very smooth dough just like how we do a chapathi dough.
- Do try this and leave in your feedback ....its absoulutely delicious and most loved by my family esp me can't resist myself from having these :) :)