Friday, March 3, 2017

Kali tori and piyav sukkhe

This is one of my mamama's style  traditional delicacy which I recently learnt on my mom and I loved it to core ...it was so delicious you will absolutely love it with chapathi / Rice and dal . Kali tori / black pigeon peas can be easily found in any Mangalore stores which I always get and store in my pantry for use ....Do try this it's absolutely delicious and a forgotten delicacy as well which I am blogging for my and my reader's future reference :)


Ingredients

1 cup Kali Tori / Black Pigeon peas (soaked in water overnight)

2 onions (finely chopped)

1 and 1/2 tbsp urad dal

8-10 seeds of methi

small piece of tamarind

1/2 cup coconut

5-6 Red chillies ( + or - as per your spice tolerance )

salt to taste

1 and 1/2 tbsp oil +  1/2 tsp ghee for frying the onions

1 tsp oil for frying the spices

Method

  • Pressure cook Kali tori which you have soaked overnight for 1 -2 whistles till cooked such tht when you feel the grain it gets mashed up easily . Now drain out all the water ( Don't discard the water can be used to make tasty rasam with this )
  • In oil fry urad dal, methi seeds well on a very low flame when it gives out nice aroma and grains slightly start to change colour add this to the mixer grinder along with coconut, red chillies, tamarind and grind to a coarse paste  adding little water. (Make sure all spices are ground when you feel the paste !)
  • In pan add in cooked tori and this spice paste and mix well.  Allow it to come to a boil such that all masala coats all the tori well. ( You can add litte water if it is too dry )
  • Now in a pan add in oil fry chopped onions and fry till nice aroma and the onions turn slightly brown ( don't over roast it )  . Add this roasted onion to the cooked tori  and mix in lightly till everything is incorporated well and keep it to a simmer flame . ( This is a semi dry dish so don't add in too much of water ). Serve with Rice and dal....it's become my fav do give it a try and enjoy this dish with your family :)
  • Note /Tip : Do try out with other lentils if you can't find Black Pigeon peas I am sure it would taste awesome !


No comments:

Post a Comment