I simply love bitter-gourd fry and this is one perfect recipe which I learnt from my mil and it's a lovely fasting recipe which has been prepared with varai ...it came out so Awesome and perfectly crispy without rice that I simply loved it :) ....Do try this you will def love it enjoy this with rice and dal or just like that on fasting days....perfect crispy snack for me ...Yumm !
2 bitter-gourd (cut into thin roundels)
1/4 cup varai / Samo seeds /Barnyard millet
1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds
5-6 Red chillies
1/2 tsp Hing powder /Asafoetida
1/4 tsp haldi
1/2 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
oil to deep fry these fritters
- Cut karela / karathe /Bittergourd into thin roundels and keep aside.
- In bowl soak varai along with red chilli and keep aside for 1/2 hr .
- Then drain the varai and grind this with chillies, coriander seeds, lemon juice, hing powder , haldi and make it to a thick paste adding very little water. Add in salt to taste. ( Note : Here lemon juice is added to reduce the bitterness ).
- Then coat this bittergourd with this paste and keep aside for 10 mins till all flavours are infused.
- Then Heat oil to a smoking point and deep fry in oil till crisp .
- Serve with Rice and dal or have it just like that ....tastes Awesome and must try for those who love karela ...it came out very crispy and I simply loved this variation :)