2 cup Milk Powder
1 cup Maida
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp butter softened at room temperature
Whole milk just enough to make the dough
For the syrup
2 cups Sugar
1 cup water
4-5 seeds of green cardamom crushed
Oil for frying
- Make the dough by combining the milk powder, Maida,baking powder,butter and just enough whole milk to make a semi-softdough.
- Divide the dough into 18-20 portions. Make balls by gently rolling each portion between your palms into a smooth ball.
- Place the balls on a plate. Cover with a damp yet dry kitchen towel.
- Heat the oil on high and then lower the heat to medium. Slip in the balls into the hot oil from the side of the pan, one by one and fry till brown on all the sides
For the sugar syrup
- Mix 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup of water. Add 4-5 crushed cardamom pods, Mix with a spoon and then heat at medium heat for 5-10 minutes until sugar is all dissolved in water. Do not overheat, that will caramelize the sugar.
- Transfer this hot syrup into a serving dish. Add the fried gulab jamuns directly into the warm syrup. Leave gulab jamuns in syrup overnight for best results and serve whenever u want to
- Note:If the temperature of the oil is too high then the gulab jamuns will tend to break. So adjust the temperature to ensure that the gulab jamuns do not break or cook too quickly.
The balls must be fried very slowly under medium temperatures. This will ensure complete cooking from inside and even browning.